Thursday, September 13, 2007

Week 6 Thing 15 - Web 2.0/Library 2.0

Library 2.0 Preparation for the future. In our daily lives we our selves are using non print sources as the way we retrieve needed information. For example, about 10 years ago I would get a map in order to get directions. About 2 years ago, I would go on line to get directions from a website. Now I get my directions directly from my car. What I am getting at is that I am getting my information when I need it, where I need it and as quickly as I need it. The Library 2.0 philosophy, recognizes that many customers are using Libraries in different ways than in the past and it makes suggestions as to ways that libraries can stay integral in the sharing of information. Rick Anderson suggests that their are three areas of thought that may cause libraries to become obsolete. He suggests that keeping material just in case someone might need it at some time is a waste of resources which would be better used elsewhere. Another suggestion is that Librarians spend to much time trying to teach people how to conduct research instead of providing the user with the information. Lastly he suggests that libraries mostly require customers to come in to a building or call to get the information they need. I feel that libraries need to keep in mind the technological changes which are rapidly occurring and position themselves appropriately so that they maintain an important position in providing the information that customers need.

No comments: